On to the topsides paint!
After waiting a few days to make sure the red paint was sufficiently cured to withstand masking tape, I marked the waterline. I used previously marked spots on the edge of the stern transom and the forward edge of the garboard planks, tweaked the level of the boat with a shim, and then used a laser level to mark the line. I used 3M fine line tape, which really leaves a nice clean line.
Here, I have applied two coats of Interlux Perfection Royal Blue. Hmm, it is not quite the dark blue I had envisioned - it is so hard to tell just what you are getting from those teeny weeny little paint chips. So, I ordered a quart of a darker blue (Mauritius Blue), and sanded down the Royal Blue to get a smooth surface to start with (lets see, how many times have I sanded the planks - not counting, dont want to know....)
Meanwhile, while waiting for the new paint to arrive, I figured I could get going on the rudder assembly. Started by applying fiberglass to the insides of the sides of the head assembly - I covered the entire piece rather than just the areas around the rudder pivet and the tiller, because I wanted to increase the spacing between the cheeks just a bit.
I applied 3 coats of graphite epoxy to the wear areas - I also won't have to try to paint in these areas after the head is assembled.
And here is the assembled head assembly. I put a few screws into the sides to augment the epoxy and to get some clamping force in the middle - not sure they are really needed. And I did not hit the tubing with a screw - thanks for the heads up Dan!
After filling the screw holes and a couple more coats of epoxy, the head assembly will be ready for paint.
Below, you can see the rudder foil getting its fiberglass. I have finished the first fill coat, and plan to put dynel on the leading edge next.
Skeg runners going on. I cut them from UHMW plastic, and screwed them down into 4200 caulk. The holes in the skegs were overdrilled and filled with thickened epoxy before the paint went on.
To get the UHMW to bend around the forward edge of the skeg, I heated it in boiling water for 5 minutes, then clamped it over a form that had the correct profile. and let it sit overnight. Then, gave it a bit more heat just before screwing it down.
After 3 coats of Mauritius Blue (for a total of 3 coats of primer, 2 coats of Royal Blue, 3 coats of Mauritius Blue), I am *just* starting to get the hang of painting with Perfection. Maybe. It is interesting stuff - the darker colors don't flow out as well as the lighter colors, and need more attention to the correct amount of thinner to balance between getting a good flow out, and not running.
In another week or so, I will figure the paint has hardened up enough to turn her back over.